Kirkistown Castle is situated at Main Road, Cloughey, County Down, BT22 1JB.
Page content is constructed from information found on other websites.
The precise date of the construction of Kirkistown Castle has been debated recently, but it is traditionally believed to have been built by Roland Savage of Ballygalget in 1622, possibly reusing an earlier site.
The castle comprises of a three storey tower house within the remains of a bawn (fortified enclosed space) and a later barn.
There has been gradual subsidence of the tower house over the centuries as its foundations were not built to accommodate the marshy ground.
In the late 19th century buttresses and two iron braces were added to halt movement in the walls. The tower has been subjected to numerous alterations over its history and was extensively remodelled in a neo-gothic style in the early 19th century.
The first fortification on this site was a 9th century round tower.
In 1622 this was replaced by a 3-storey tower house with a rectangular bawn with round flankers at its corners, built by a Roland Savage. It was occupied until 1731, when it was deserted.
In 1800 the tower of Kirkistown Castle was remodeled in Gothic style by a Col. Johnston, and in 1836 further work was performed.
The building was left, however, with a partial roof and broken windows, and the elements soon took their toll.
Of the bawn, only the southwest wall with its two flankers remained.
At present Kirkistown Castle is managed by the NI Environment Agency and can be visited on certain days during the year.
Please check opening days and times before travelling.
Entrance is free but parking charges may be in operation.